[PD-dev] namespaces for send/receive

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Nov 18 22:24:22 CET 2009

Hallo,

> On Nov 18, 2009, at 2:35 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>> If you use the route-approach, you can use settable routes (as an
>> abstraction like sroute.pd in [list]-abs). But actually I have no idea why a
>> settable receive should be necessary anyway? :)
>
> Why not have settable receives?  I dont' see the downside or harm.  In
> this case, a settable receive is only possible via arguments and
> dollarargs in the receive object box.  I guess that's an old issue...

I didn't mean to start a discussion on the general usefulness of settable
receives (about which I have an opinion), I only meant your usecase, which as I
understand is that you want to share a global or remote value like a video's
FPS in many abstractions. For this I don't think you need a settable receive,
as you can reserve a single, unchanging reveiver to receive such information,
either a multi-use single-name receiver that distributes items with [route] or
many separate receivers (with the namespace pollution problem).

> Perhaps another approach would be to have a standard receive name for a
> library, then make it local using routes.  So something like [receive
> framesync/framesync]  then the next route would be the project ID, then
> the standard bits of data (i.e. fps).

Yep.

Ciao
--