[PD-dev] updating 'puredata' package to 0.42.5

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Sat Nov 21 06:55:28 CET 2009

On Nov 21, 2009, at 12:44 AM, Chris McCormick wrote:

> [...]
>
> I will, thanks for the invitation. This is one of the great things
> about
> pd-extended, that the development is so public and open. I am
> looking forward
> to the day when pd-extended fits my needs and I can begin to trust
> it when I
> use it more.
>
>>> 3. Hans is the leader of the pd-extended project, and I disagree
>>> with many
>>> of his technical decisions. I don't trust him to make technical
>>> decisions as
>>> much as I trust Miller. This may be outweiged down the track by
>>> evolutionary pressure, since pd-extended will be subjected to a
>>> lot more
>>> pressure  than Pd will be, because Pd basically has a sole
>>> maintainer. For
>>> me this is  the biggest thing going for pd-extended - it is
>>> properly exposed
>>> to the  evolutionary pressures of the Free Software community.
>>
>> Funny, I never wanted to be a leader of this, I'd much prefer it if
>> more
>> people were involved in the work and the decision making.  And
>> thankfully,
>> I'm not the only one who works on it.  Others have  contributed a
>> lot as
>> well.
>
> Of course, and you are doing a neccessary job and I think a lot of
> people
> appreciate it, especially people who just want to get something
> working fast on
> their platform, and need the functionality of some externals but
> can't compile
> them.
>
>>> 4. I often want to run Pd on constrained devices and in
>>> constrained  places.
>>> Getting it to do so is hard enough without the bloat that pd-
>>> extended
>>> experiences. What if I want to apt-get install Pd onto my router/
>>> gumstix/phone with an ARM based processor with 8MB of flash memory?
>>
>> I often to that as well.  You should see how many python libraries
>> are
>> available for embedded devices.  Many many.  Just because a library
>> is
>> sitting there on the disk doesn't mean you have to use it.  But it
>> does meant
>> that you _can_ use it.
>
> I guess the difference is that when disk space is constrained I have
> the option
> to install or not install something with Python, whilst I don't
> really have
> that option with pd-extended. If you do an `apt-cache search python-
> ` you will
> see a ton of stuff that you can optionally install. I think the
> Python VM and
> language strike the right balance with what hey choose to be
> 'batteries
> included' and what they leave out. Possibly pd-extended still needs

I think the commonly agreed-upon future direction for Pd-extened on
Debian-esque platforms is having all of the libs broken out into
separate packages.  It is just a matter of getting the work done...

>> All that said, I like the forkiness of Pd and think its a strength.
>> I don't
>> think everyone should use Pd-extended, or whatever.  Its kind of
>> ironic maybe
>> that this thread started with me talking about doing pd- vanilla
>> maintenance
>> :).
>
> Yes, I agree. Choice is good. Also, that irony is not lost on me! I
> would
> really appreciate having someone dedicated to updating vanilla Pd in
> Debian. I
> must apologise for always contributing words rather that code or
> action, which
> is what you do for the benefit of us all.

IOhannes beat me to the punch, he just didn't mention it.  :-)

The arc of history bends towards justice.     - Dr. Martin Luther
King, Jr.