[PD-dev] bug when redrawing gop within gop inside a closed sub-patch

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Nov 24 00:40:47 CET 2009

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009, Ivica Ico Bukvic wrote:

> obstacles to a project's growth I found to be overly protective nature
> towards one's contributions or what some would portray as inability to
> separate one's ego from the interests of the project as a whole, as then any
> discussion pertaining to it can quickly flare up into a territorial
> crapshoot where people talk but do not necessarily listen.

Ok, I don't have any code in vanilla nor extended, and if I had any, I
wouldn't consider it an achievement. Now if only you were reading me
accordingly...

> Likewise, improving code readability is more likely to attract
> additional contributors. E.g. perhaps it may be a good idea to include
> structure casting for all pertinent identifiers you've kindly demoed a
> snippet of in your last email.

Yeah, it's all nice, but how do you get improvements like that in the
branch(es) that you want to improve?

> I am first to admit that I am a weekend warrior when it comes to coding
> and as such am probably not the greatest C/C++ guru on the planet.

You needn't say that. I still wanted to say that chances are you did a lot
more with those 40 hours than just hunting bugs, so, if ever a bugfix is
rejected or buggy or the issue becomes moot, you haven't really wasted 40
hours on it. It's actually part of the trick to get less territorial about
the code: no matter how much of the code gets flushed and ignored, you
learned a lot of things that you can use somewhere else, and those hours
will always be with you.