[PD-dev] bug when redrawing gop within gop inside a closed sub-patch

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Nov 22 19:05:08 CET 2009

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> On Nov 20, 2009, at 3:14 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>> Because objectboxes and messageboxes and atomboxes have become opaque, so
>> the stacking order of wires does matter more. They have to stay on top in
>> order to be more visible, yet the pd architecture is not sophisticated
>> enough to allow pd to force all of its externals to draw all boxes _under_
>> the wires.
> Well, its easy enough to raise all wires.  That's what Pd-extended does, but
> there are a couple bugs with that...

Btw I don't mean that DD does anything in particular with it. It's just
that with the sys_vgui() free-for-all, the Pd GUI itself has no knowledge
of which canvasitems have been created last, and so it can't call the
'lower' method (of a tk canvas object) on those items. Using the DD API,
it could be done using the same abstraction layer that is used for
zoomability, but I don't think I have done anything about keeping boxes
below wires.

Given that, your "raise all_cords" is the best solution imho, as the Pd
GUI has total control over wires, not boxes, therefore it's much easier to
put wires over boxes than to put boxes below wires.