[PD-dev] bug when redrawing gop within gop inside a closed sub-patch

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Mon Nov 23 16:21:32 CET 2009

> > and that would go a long way towards improving legibility, e.g.
> > all_present_objects.cords.visible.
>
> What would that piece of code mean? how would you use it? how
> would it fit
> with a C<->Tcl/Tk architecture? can it be expressed as C code naturally
> enough?

Depends what you refer to as "natural enough." I speak a human language and
since this is project developed by humans I would argue that having variable
names that convey their function more clearly at the expense of typing a few
extra characters certainly seems "natural enough."

> > So is 40 hours used for a task that should've taken a fraction of
that...

> <Should> ? If you have used those hours well, you have now 40 hours of
> experience with the Pd source code, and surely this reduces the time it
> takes you to find another bug in Pd, or another bug in any other C
> programme, or another bug in any other programme, even. Well, it
> would be
> nice if it took less time to write a programme, read a programme and
> debug
> a programme, but unless we really have a good list of time-savers that
> are
> demonstrably good, it's hard to claim how many hours it could have
> been,
> and even then, it heavily depends on one's experience and on one's
> reluctance.

I disagree. Despite knowing more about the code structure, I still have to
switch regularly back and forth between .h (documentation) files and the .c
source. And that in and of itself doubles my cognitive load and cuts in half
my efficiency for as long as I don't know the .h structs by heart, and I
certainly have a lot more pressing matters than learning such stuff by
heart.

Ico