[PD-dev] adding standard install paths to the 'puredata' package

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Dec 1 09:22:03 CET 2009

Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Nov 2009, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>
>>> Additionally, I'd like to Debianize the directory names (i.e. /
>>> usr/lib/puredata)
>> What's un-Debian about /usr/lib/pd?
>
> the package name is not "pd".

the package name used to be "pd"

> alternatively, the package name could be changed, if there is no nameclash.

it was changed to "puredata", which seems to be meant as the specific
name (e.g. pd-vanilla).
i think the idea is, that several packages (puredata, PdX), can be
installed either side-by-side or exclusively, and packages depending on
"pd" (which the various flavours "provide") will still  have their
dependencies fullfilled.

however, i don't see a really compelling reason why things should be
moved from /usr/lib/pd to /usr/lib/puredata.
it might be sufficient to symlink from /u/l/puredata to /u/l/pd for now.
or the other way round.

/usr/lib/pd should be kept.

ah, and there is a tool to test for compliance with debian rules: lintian
you can make it very picky (telling it to show not only errors and
ordinary warnings, but also "pedantic" warnings and "experimental"
inconsistencies).
the puredata package i posted on mentors (still pending a mentor
though), is lintian clean in this regard, even though it installs into
/u/l/pd

i wouldn't change anything without a compelling reason.

fgmasdr
IOhannes