[PD-dev] svn on build farm (was Re: [GEM-dev] gem fails on 10.4)

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Dec 1 14:57:27 CET 2009

IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> the svn client installed on the build-machine (/sw/bin/svn) is somewhat
> outdated (1.4.4) and refuses to "svn update" the sandbox.

this seems to be a common problem on more of the build machines (e.g. i
just noticed it on the ubuntu-hardy-lts-i386)

for me this makes working on these machines a bit strange: you fix the
code, login to the build machine, try to "svn update" (or rather: "svn
info" or "svnversion" to see which revision was actually used) and get
"svn: This client is too old to work with working copy"

what?

i guess, that for performance reasons (the sf repositories often suck)
the repository is pulled only to a central machine and then distributed
via rsync to the various build hosts.
however, i haven't found any documentation on this.

it would be nice if the tools installed on the build hosts would be able
to cope with the repository.
if this is too much hazzle (e.g. setting up a proxy, or whatever), could
somebody learned please document e.g. on
http://puredata.info/docs/developer/PdLab (or somewhere linked from
there; or in the nice splashscreen on the build-machines) what is to be
expected and what not?

the workaround that does work (it seems), is to do another checkout with
the system's own svn and work in this sandbox.
i usually do this only on 2nd choice (in order to save bandwidth).

i guess it's just a matter of knowing.

fbm,asdr
IOhannes