[PD-dev] adding standard install paths to the 'puredata' package

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Wed Dec 2 06:49:46 CET 2009

On Dec 1, 2009, at 3:22 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

>>> What's un-Debian about /usr/lib/pd?
>>
>> the package name is not "pd".
>
> the package name used to be "pd"
>

>> alternatively, the package name could be changed, if there is no
>> nameclash.
>

> it was changed to "puredata", which seems to be meant as the specific
> name (e.g. pd-vanilla).
> i think the idea is, that several packages (puredata, PdX), can be
> installed either side-by-side or exclusively, and packages depending
> on
> "pd" (which the various flavours "provide") will still  have their
> dependencies fullfilled.
>
> however, i don't see a really compelling reason why things should be
> moved from /usr/lib/pd to /usr/lib/puredata.
> it might be sufficient to symlink from /u/l/puredata to /u/l/pd for
> now.
> or the other way round.
>
> /usr/lib/pd should be kept.
>

> ah, and there is a tool to test for compliance with debian rules:
> lintian
> you can make it very picky (telling it to show not only errors and
> ordinary warnings, but also "pedantic" warnings and "experimental"
> inconsistencies).
> the puredata package i posted on mentors (still pending a mentor
> though), is lintian clean in this regard, even though it installs into
> /u/l/pd
>
> i wouldn't change anything without a compelling reason.

The compelling reason is that 'pd' means multiple packages 'puredata',
'pd-extended', and perhaps others.  Where is the harm in changing
this?  Its a trivial patch, its not a directory that people should be
ever changing since its managed by the packages.  If it causes
problems, we can change it back.  Here's an example:

desiredata: /usr/lib/desiredata
puredata: /usr/lib/pd
pd-extended: /usr/lib/pd-extended
libraries install path: /usr/lib/pd-externals

                             kill your television