[PD-dev] adding standard install paths to the 'puredata' package
claudiusmaximus at goto10.org
Fri Dec 4 03:28:48 CET 2009
Some quick comments..
Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> By the way, is anyone from pure:dyne listening? It would be great to
> have some input from you.
1. The paths stuff: the status quo is fine, I don't understand what you
are trying to fix at all, apart from disruptive "change for the sake of
change" to make a name more perceptually uniform - wtf does that solve?
2. it was taking too long for us to get packages into Debian
3. Puredyne (Ubuntu Karmic based distro) packages are here:
4. The Puredyne pd-foo external packages "Depends: puredata" (afaik).
5. Maybe it would be better for puredata and pd-extended to both
"Provide: pd", but then pd-extended will have a long "Conflicts: .."
list, which is a pain for things like pd-gridflow "Depends: pd-gem,
puredata" which means Puredyne pd-gridflow won't work with Pd-extended
unless Pd-extended "Provides: pd-gem", then things will crash if the
respective Pd ABIs are different, etc...
5.b. There must be a good elegant technical solution out there
somewhere, but so far the "accidental workaround" of Puredyne's pd and
externals packages basically conflicting with Pd-extended completely,
hasn't caused too many problems in the wild: either have Puredyne
puredata and modular externals, xor have Pd-extended monolith - choose
More information about the Pd-dev