[PD-dev] much better scrolling algorithm (pd-extended 0.42.5)

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Sun Dec 6 03:43:18 CET 2009

On Dec 4, 2009, at 11:00 PM, Ivica Ico Bukvic wrote:

>> I guess I didn't understand the nature of that issue.  I haven't seen
>> it.  Tcl/Tk's bbox stuff seems to work with comments, do you mean
>> IEMGUI text?
>>
>> .hc
>
> Hans,
>
> I really don't mean to be disrespectful but I am really getting
> frustrated
> by the fact that you apparently do not read my emails at all, keep
> asking
> same questions over and over again, and on top of that fail to
> perform the
> task I asked you to perform several times ago to assess the bug.
>
> My time is limited as I am sure is yours, but if submitting a patch
> means
> repeating myself 4 times and then getting it contested continually on
> grounds that are entirely irrelevant to the patch itself is becoming
> really
> tiring (and yes this patch does not address the mouse wheel but it
> does not
> exacerbate the problem either--in other words it is orthogonal to
> it, so
> mousewheel has *nothing* to do with this). So, please read them and
> check
> out the matter at hand instead of asking for an explanation of the
> same
> issue over and over again.
>
> Below are emails I sent you explaining in detail the same issue:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/pd-dev@iem.at/msg07054.html (see point 2)
> http://www.mail-archive.com/pd-dev@iem.at/msg07123.html
> http://www.mail-archive.com/pd-dev@iem.at/msg07124.html
>
> So, once again, yes, it does affect IEMGUI as it does any other
> text. The
> bbox miscalculation essentially affects all sizes but is less
> apparent at
> small font sizes, so it (kind of) works (because the discrepancy is
> not
> noticeable) as long as you don't use anything but default-sized
> fonts. If
> you alter your default font size and/or use iemgui objects the issue
> will
> quickly become apparent.

Maybe I'm just slow, but I ask because I have been following this
thread and I don't understand the details of the problem or the
patch.  Your emails have not made it clear to me.  That's why I
started the wiki page, and that's why I ask questions.  Its my
experience that more emails on a topic often make things less clear,
rather than more.  Also, submitting code in short, succinct "diff -uw"
patches makes it much more to the point and easy to read.
Illustrating problems with example patches is much more effective than
more email.

I guessed that the attached patch illustrates the problem that you are
describing, but it seems to me that the current Pd-extended algorithm
and the Pd-vanilla algorithm get it right: