[PD-dev] Ignoring '5401': doesn't look like a Pd-file

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Jan 14 09:51:58 CET 2010

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Everytime I run pd 0.43 from the command line like ./pd, I get this:
>
> Ignoring '5401': doesn't look like a Pd-file

yes, here too :-)
and i even know where it comes from...
when you call "./pd-gui.tcl <somefile.pd>", it will request somefile.pd
to be opened (by calling "open_file{}"
if you call "./pd-gui.tcl 5400" it will connect to a running Pd on port
5400, but it will _also_ think that "5400" is a file to open, and call
"open_file 5400"
then "open_file{}" will do a check whether and will only ask Pd-core to
open the file if it ends with .pd/.pat/.mxt.
since 5400 does not match this criterion it will be discarded.

this is how it has been before i modified the source.
nobody noticed, because open_file silently dropped the "illegal" file.

what i did is, that i added a warning, if open_file{} discards a file
(because it does not end with .pd/...)
i think this is good, because it tells us, that we are using a bad hack
here: we are mixing 2 concepts
- the check in open_file{} is there to prevent "bad" files to be opened.
- if we call "./pd-gui.tcl 5400" we don't want to specify a file, but
instead a port! we know that this is a port, because it is a number. we
should not call open_file{} with something which we already know is not
a file.
so the check has to be done way earlier in the process.

in the meantime i prefer to see the warning (a constant reminder of the
quirk) rather than drop it.

one could use the new ::pdwindow::verbose{} rather than post{}.
but really the underlying problem should be fixed sooner than later.

fgmadsr
IOhannes