[PD-dev] pdwindow as syslog

IOhannes zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sat Jan 16 11:13:00 CET 2010

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> Hey IOhannes,
>
> I was just looking thru your pdwindow.tcl procs.  It seems to me that
> those procs should just go all the way and implement a syslog-style
> system with the same levels.  Then the Pd window could have a little
> dropdown menu on the lower left to select which level to show.

the pdwindow::verbose{} functionality is modelled after pd's verbose()
functionality.
assuming that most Pd devs will have more experience with Pd's posting
mechanisms than with a platform depending syslog functionality, it made
way more sense to use "verbose" than "syslog".

if the only reason to change the name to "syslog" is, that the mechanism
reminds you remotely on that used by syslog, i would kindly ask to
change it back.

> Attached is my failed attempt at defining the functions.  Also, about
> the tags for colorizing things, I think your syslog level tags and the
> alternating linecolor? tags should be applied to all lines, not
> depending on which proc is used.  Then different plugins or modes can
> colorize the text.  Otherwise, it'll be just a big mishmash of colors.

please bear in mind that english is not my mother tongue.
...oh, it seems like the "linecolor?" does not finish the sentence.

then, i don't see what you mean: the public functions are
::pdwindow::verbose{}, ::pdwindow::error{} & ::pdwindow::post{} are the
public functions that all set the corresponding tags.

so my argueing is, that tags should be applied to all text (which they
currently are), depending on which category a text belongs to.
the category is given implicitly by the proc that is used to print the
message. thus the tags are "depending on which proc is used".

what i did change was to only call the colorizing code for a tag once,
and not each time something was printed. (which is somewhat useless and
 only adds additional ressources)

> As for me, I think just a subtle alternating color per post, not
> per-line.  Then error posts would have a sublte red background.

sure

fgmasdr
IOhannes