[PD-dev] pdwindow as syslog

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Sat Jan 16 19:08:16 CET 2010

On Jan 16, 2010, at 5:13 AM, IOhannes zmölnig wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>
>> Hey IOhannes,
>>
>> I was just looking thru your pdwindow.tcl procs.  It seems to me that
>> those procs should just go all the way and implement a syslog-style
>> system with the same levels.  Then the Pd window could have a little
>> dropdown menu on the lower left to select which level to show.
>
> the pdwindow::verbose{} functionality is modelled after pd's verbose()
> functionality.
> assuming that most Pd devs will have more experience with Pd's posting
> mechanisms than with a platform depending syslog functionality, it
> made
> way more sense to use "verbose" than "syslog".
>
> if the only reason to change the name to "syslog" is, that the
> mechanism
> reminds you remotely on that used by syslog, i would kindly ask to
> change it back.

While there is a verbose() function defined in s_print.c, it is
literally never used in the pd source.  That's why I changed the name,
I didn't realize verbose() existed.  It is used lightly in some
externals.  If you really want it to be called verbose(), go for it.

>> Attached is my failed attempt at defining the functions.  Also, about
>> the tags for colorizing things, I think your syslog level tags and
>> the
>> alternating linecolor? tags should be applied to all lines, not
>> depending on which proc is used.  Then different plugins or modes can
>> colorize the text.  Otherwise, it'll be just a big mishmash of
>> colors.
>
> please bear in mind that english is not my mother tongue.
> ...oh, it seems like the "linecolor?" does not finish the sentence.

linecolor? is the tag name, ie linecolor0, linecolor1.  I think the
tag should be renamed alternatingpost0, alternatingpost1 and have it
based on post rather than line.

> then, i don't see what you mean: the public functions are
> ::pdwindow::verbose{}, ::pdwindow::error{} & ::pdwindow::post{} are
> the
> public functions that all set the corresponding tags.
>
> so my argueing is, that tags should be applied to all text (which they
> currently are), depending on which category a text belongs to.
> the category is given implicitly by the proc that is used to print the
> message. thus the tags are "depending on which proc is used".
>
> what i did change was to only call the colorizing code for a tag once,
> and not each time something was printed. (which is somewhat useless
> and
> only adds additional ressources)

IIRC, one function was posting with the linecolor0/1 tags and the
other with the verbose/syslog style tags.  I am saying all posts
should have both a linecolor/alternatingpost tag and a verbose/syslog
level tag.

.hc

>> As for me, I think just a subtle alternating color per post, not
>> per-line.  Then error posts would have a sublte red background.
>
> sure
>
> fgmasdr
> IOhannes

I have the audacity to believe that peoples everywhere can have three
and dignity, equality and freedom for their spirits.      - Martin
Luther King, Jr.