[PD-dev] UTF-8 for pd-devel (again)

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun Jan 17 22:57:33 CET 2010

Hey Bryan,

I'd like to try to get your UTF-8 code into pd-gui-rewrite.  You
mention in this posting back in May that you had the whole thing
working.  I couldn't find the diff/patch for this.  Is it posted
anywhere?  Do you want to try to check it in yourself directly to the
pd-gui-rewrite/0.43 branch?

.hc

On Mar 20, 2009, at 6:16 PM, Bryan Jurish wrote:

> morning all,
>
> Of course I never really like to see my code wither away in the bit
> bucket, but I personally don't have any pressing need for UTF-8
> symbols,
> comments, etc. in Pd -- I'm a native English speaker, after all ;-)
>
> Also, my changes are by no means the only way to do it (or even the
> best
> way); we could gain a little speed by slapping on some more buffers
> (mostly and possibly only in rtext_senditup()), but since this seems
> effect only GUI/editing stuff, I think we can live with a smidgeon of
> additional cpu time ... after all, it's all O(n) anyways.
>
> Really I just wanted to see how easy (or difficult) it would be to get
> Pd to use UTF-8 as its internal encoding... turned out to be harder
> than
> I had thought, but (ever so slightly) easier than I had feared :-/
>
> marmosets,
> 	Bryan
>
> On 2009-03-20 18:39:06, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org>
> appears to
> have written:
>>
>> I wonder what the best approach is to getting it included.  I also
>> think
>> its a very valuable contribution.  I think we need to first get the
>> Tcl/Tk only changes done, since that was the mandate of the pd-devel
>> 0.41 effort.  Then once Miller has accepted those changes, then we
>> can
>> start with the C modifications there.  So how to proceed next, I
>> think
>> is based on how eager you are, Bryan, to getting this in a regular
>> build.
>>
>> One option is making a pd-devel-utf8 branch, another is posting these
>> patches to the patch tracker and waiting for Miller to make his next
>> update with the Pd-devel Tcl-Tk code.
>>
>> Maybe we can get Miller to chime in on this topic.
>>
>> .hc
>>
>> On Mar 13, 2009, at 12:00 AM, dmotd wrote:
>>
>>> hey bryan,
>>>
>>> just a quick note of a appreciation for getting this one out.. i
>>> hope
>>> it gets
>>> picked up in millers build soon.. a very useful and necessary
>>> modification.
>>>
>>> well done!
>>>
>>> dmotd

> --
> Bryan Jurish                           "There is *always* one more
> bug."
> jurish at ling.uni-potsdam.de      -Lubarsky's Law of Cybernetic
> Entomology

The arc of history bends towards justice.     - Dr. Martin Luther
King, Jr.