[PD-dev] UTF-8 for pd-devel (again)

Bryan Jurish jurish at uni-potsdam.de
Mon Jan 18 10:47:18 CET 2010

moin Hans, moin list,

I think perhaps I never actually did post the cleaned-up patch anywhere
(bad programmer, no biscuit);  I guess I'll check out
branches/pd-gui-rewrite/0.43 and try patching my changes in; then I can
either commit or just post the (updated) patch.  Hopefully no major
additional changes will be required, so it ought to go pretty fast.

marmosets,
	Bryan

On 2010-01-17 22:57:33, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org> appears to
have written:

> Hey Bryan,
>
> I'd like to try to get your UTF-8 code into pd-gui-rewrite.  You mention
> in this posting back in May that you had the whole thing working.  I
> couldn't find the diff/patch for this.  Is it posted anywhere?  Do you
> want to try to check it in yourself directly to the pd-gui-rewrite/0.43
> branch?
>
> .hc
>

> On Mar 20, 2009, at 6:16 PM, Bryan Jurish wrote:
>
>> morning all,
>>
>> Of course I never really like to see my code wither away in the bit
>> bucket, but I personally don't have any pressing need for UTF-8 symbols,
>> comments, etc. in Pd -- I'm a native English speaker, after all ;-)
>>
>> Also, my changes are by no means the only way to do it (or even the best
>> way); we could gain a little speed by slapping on some more buffers
>> (mostly and possibly only in rtext_senditup()), but since this seems to
>> effect only GUI/editing stuff, I think we can live with a smidgeon of
>> additional cpu time ... after all, it's all O(n) anyways.
>>
>> Really I just wanted to see how easy (or difficult) it would be to get
>> Pd to use UTF-8 as its internal encoding... turned out to be harder than
>> I had thought, but (ever so slightly) easier than I had feared :-/
>>
>> marmosets,
>>     Bryan
>>
>> On 2009-03-20 18:39:06, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org> appears to
>> have written:
>>>
>>> I wonder what the best approach is to getting it included.  I also think
>>> its a very valuable contribution.  I think we need to first get the
>>> Tcl/Tk only changes done, since that was the mandate of the pd-devel
>>> 0.41 effort.  Then once Miller has accepted those changes, then we can
>>> start with the C modifications there.  So how to proceed next, I think
>>> is based on how eager you are, Bryan, to getting this in a regular
>>> build.
>>>
>>> One option is making a pd-devel-utf8 branch, another is posting these
>>> patches to the patch tracker and waiting for Miller to make his next
>>> update with the Pd-devel Tcl-Tk code.
>>>
>>> Maybe we can get Miller to chime in on this topic.
>>>
>>> .hc

>> --
>> Bryan Jurish                           "There is *always* one more bug."
>> jurish at ling.uni-potsdam.de      -Lubarsky's Law of Cybernetic Entomology

> The arc of history bends towards justice.     - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Bryan Jurish
Deutsches Textarchiv
Berlin-Brandenburgische Akademie der Wissenschaften

Jägerstr. 22/23
10117 Berlin

Tel.:      +49 (0)30 20370 539
E-Mail:    jurish at bbaw.de