[PD-dev] setting the bug/patch tracker to login-only

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Jan 19 09:22:03 CET 2010

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I am thinking that we should set our bug and patch trackers so that you
> have login in order to post.  While I do want to get as many bug reports
> as possible, from what I have seen, the anonymous reports almost always
> need a follow-up and are almost never followed up on.  Or the ones that
> are followed up on were posted by people who just forgot to login.
>
> Whadaya think?

i'm not a big fan of that.

- for one thing, it discourages people to post bug reports.
personally, i will not become a member of any portal (be it facebook or
myspace or whatnot) just to tell someone that there product doesn't work.

- sourceforge now supports OpenID authentication. while this seems to be
the solution to the problem (people don't really have to sign-up to post
tickets in an authenticated way),  it is actually not: people are
technically authenticated, but from the ticket admin's point of view
nothing changes (you don't know who posted; and it seems like the
original poster is not included in the thread, so there is no follow up
either)

- one possibility would be to have tickets that would require either
authentication or a valid email address (which is not shown anywhere).
this is not implemented at sourceforge, but one could file a feature
request.

so please don't.

fgmasdr
IOhannes