[PD-dev] Debian Policy for Pd packages

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Feb 1 09:38:29 CET 2010

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> Just finished a weekend long Debian Bug Squashing Party here in NYC.  I
> discussed with a few Debian Developers how best to fit Pd's files into
> Debian Policy.  This is what we came up with.  Let me know what you guys
> think, and whether there are other things to add.
>
>     * While .pd files are plain text, they are really like scripts most
> of all, and should be treated that way. That means they should go into
> /usr/lib/pd rather than the data dir /usr/share/pd
>     *help patches are just Pd patches, which are just scripts, so it is
> also ok for them to be included in /usr/lib/pd.
>     * Help patches are not really useful to read outside of Pd so the
> help patches should not go into `/usr/share/doc'
>     * HTML, PDFs?, .txt, and READMEs? should go into /usr/share/doc like
> any other package

i guess this pretty much expresses the current state of the puredata
package, no?

one issue that seems to have been untouched: what about "examples"? e.g.
Gem has a largish collection of example Pd patches, which traditionally
go into /usr/share/doc (and are then symlinked to /usr/lib/pd to make Pd
find it)
i still very much like this, and for me it seems like it is in
accordance to what other packages do: about 10% of the packages
installed on my machine have a /usr/share/doc/<package>/examples/
directory, which is often filled with rcfiles and/or programming
examples. e.g. loads of python modules will put example code into this
directory.

mgasdr
IOhannes