[PD-dev] [ pure-data-Bugs-2957058 ] pointer to [route symbol]-[print] crashes pd

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Thu Feb 25 06:54:40 CET 2010

Bugs item #2957058, was opened at 2010-02-23 01:11
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by jancsika1
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=478070&aid=2957058&group_id=55736

not just the latest update.
Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
[namecanvas foo]

[traverse foo, bang(

[pointer]

[route symbol]

[print]

1) a pointer message is erroneously routed as a symbol
2) this crashes Pd
3) [route pointer] doesn't route a pointer

Date: 2010-02-25 00:54

Message:
Hm, I'm just not understanding something about gpointers-- I'd just assumed
when you send a pointer message it consists of the selector "pointer"
followed by the gpointer itself (gridflow's [display] seems to confirm
this).  But clearly something else is going on because [route pointer]
doesn't currently work for gpointers, nor will [pointer] accept a gpointer
that has passed through [pointer $1( (though [route] will, without
crashing, and output a usable gpointer that has the selector "list").

It also seems like "pointer 1 2 3" is an unchecked case of "bad arguments
to message 'pointer'".  So I guess I'm saying I agree that [route pointer]
should route according to the selector "pointer", I just don't understand
why a gpointer wouldn't match under those conditions.

Comment By: Frank Barknecht (fbar)
Date: 2010-02-23 03:40

Message:
Hi Jonathan,

I raised the priority as crashes are really serious. I disagree with your
item 3), though. [route pointer] should not route GPointers, but
meta-messages starting with the symbol "pointer" e.g.

[pointer 1 2 3(

[route pointer]

It does that just fine.