[PD-dev] seeking advice on Pd gui overhaul

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Thu Feb 25 09:48:21 CET 2010

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 09:26:09AM +0100, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> On 2010-02-24 22:23, Arnout Engelen wrote:
> >
> > Well, if the protocol used for the communication is very application-specific
> > this might not be entirely clear-cut.
>
> sorry to continue on the "license" issue, but i don't think that we are
> in flamewar hell at all (yet :-))
>
> anyhow:
> it's true that the communication between pd-core and pd-gui is
> "application specific".
> however, this only means that we are on OSI-layer 7 (application (sic!)
> layer).
> other protocols on this layer include HTTP, SMTP or CIFS.
>
> all these protocols allow interaction between proprietary and GPL'ed code.
> i especially mention CIFS as this was really made for a proprietary OS,
> and still there are GPL implementations using it.

The only thing you need to think about with the GPL is whether the code is
'linked'. If the new GUI was linked (e.g. with gcc's linker program) with the
core Pd then there is a problem. As far as I can tell the gui is launched as a
separate process or a subprocess so there is no issue with using a GPL GUI with
the BSD Pd.

Chris.