[PD-dev] [ pure-data-Feature Requests-2960329 ] add dollarsign variable for abstraction args

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Sat Feb 27 19:48:24 CET 2010

Feature Requests item #2960329, was opened at 2010-02-27 13:48
Message generated for change (Tracker Item Submitted) made by jancsika1
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=478073&aid=2960329&group_id=55736

not just the latest update.
Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
There should be a special dollarsign variable to get abstraction args.  This would make it easier to build expressive abstractions, without having to rely on dynamic patching which evidently is not "officially supported."

For example, say I have an abstraction that uses comparisons to decide whether or not the incoming value should be sent out the left or right outlet.  Currently I can use the relational objects-- i.e., let the user decide which one to give as args to the abstraction and just have a [$1 $2] object inside it.  But then maybe at some point in using my abstraction I think it would be really handy to use [expr] for a more complicated comparison.  Currently to do so requires adding dynamic patching to my abstraction, which is of course a pain.  If there were one dollarsign variable for getting all the args, however, I just use that in place of [$1 $2] (and it would work seamlessly).

I've purposely avoided putting a name to this dollarsign variable because I'm fine with whatever someone who has the skills to implement it comes up with.