[PD-dev] GUI performance clarification

Lee Azzarello lee at rockingtiger.com
Sun Mar 14 04:47:49 CET 2010

Hot on the heels of the great GUI rewrite thread, I have a simple
question that would help clarify some CPU performance questions I have
with my current project. I have incoming serial data from an arduino.
This data is getting buffered every n milliseconds and sent to a
vslider object. I have 6 channels of data with a vslider on each, so 6
vsliders and 6 buffers.

If I set n to 20ms, my dual core 2.4 ghz CPU with an i945 graphics
card on Linux 2.6.32 hits 100% with no audio processing. If I lower n
to 60ms the CPU usage drops to about 15%. Is this the expected
performance for a vslider?

-lee