[PD-dev] [ pure-data-Bugs-2950978 ] iemlib/[soundfile_info]: does not load certain wav files

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Mon Mar 15 18:25:56 CET 2010

Thanks for your response!

On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 09:03 +0100, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> On 2010-03-15 00:35, Roman Haefeli wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I would like to know, how likely it is that this bug is going to be
> > fixed in the next couple of weeks. Please do *not* understand this as a
> > request and certainly not as a demand to fix it. Having this piece of
> > information helps to define a strategy of what audio software can be
> > used in an upcoming project with with students - a project that also
> > involves Pd.
> >
> > Any feedback (such as 'the maintainer of this object is not on this
> > list') might be helpful.
> >

> the maintainer of the object is on the list, but he is probably not
> reading it :-)
>
> i try to speak on behalf of him, forgive my arrogance:
> i'm sure that he is not aware of the specific problem, though he is
> certainly aware of the problem in general.
> i don't think that he will fix the problem within the next couple of
> weeks by himself.
> probably providing a patch would be a good start.

Yeah, I'll try finding someone with more C skills than me to look at the
code. My hope is that the file reading code from d_soundfile.c from Pd's
sources could be adapted for [soundfile_info], since this code seems to
handle those 'problematic' sound files flawlessly and it also supports
more file formats than [soundfile_info] (+ AIFF, NextStep). Please
correct me: this looks to me like unnecessarily duplicated code, but
then I don't know the history of it (probably [soundfile_info] was
first?).

> all of the above may be wrong.
> i'll tak to him about this the next time i see him.
>
> in the meantime, couldn't you run sox to convert the wav to a "readable"
> format?

Of course, thanks for the tip. The main person using this Pd-Application
is *only* familiar with nuendo/Windows and I showed him how to convert
the files with Audacity, but still this is quite cumbersome for him.
However, it is a working solution. But this also means, that students
rather shouldn't use Nuendo but Audacity (which I - personally - can
totally live with).

Roman