[PD-dev] more information on the gui getting stuck on 0.42.5

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Wed Mar 17 17:45:40 CET 2010

I've noticed this behavior a bit also, but haven't had a chance to
debug it.  I'd try capturing the Tcl code send by the Pd GUI, then
checking it in Tcl with [info complete].

The real key is isolating the step that makes it happen, then fixing
it should be pretty easy.

I'm immersed in the Arduino 1.0 Conference this week, then I plan on
diving back into the Pd-extedned 0.42 release, so I'll be able to help
more after Sunday.

.hc

On Mar 17, 2010, at 11:44 AM, Ivica Ico Bukvic wrote:

> It appears this is definitely linked to the amount of data exchanged
> between Pd and Tcl/Tk and apparently sliders are relatively hungry
> GUI-wise as their presence definitely increases frequency of this
> occurence. What is particularly curious is the stderr feedback. The
> moment gui loses ability to sync following objects stop responding:
>
> hradio
> vradio
> vu
> hslider
> vslider
> number2
> and old number objects
>
> curiously bang and toggle remain operational
>
> You can try to type in the old number and the first digit followed
> by ... appears but it never updates.
>
> The system remains responsive even with gui stuck (data is still being
> passed through objects that appear stuck).
>
> stderr shows last command that causes problem as:
> missing close-brace
>
> which suggests to me that perhaps messages flow so fast to tcl/tk that
> it perhaps some of them get mangled and lose the closing brace. The
> patch in question uses only following gui objects:
> number2/number/toggle/vslider/bang/canvas.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Ico

There is no way to peace, peace is the way.       -A.J. Muste