[PD-dev] verbosity levels

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Wed Mar 17 21:18:15 CET 2010

On Mar 17, 2010, at 1:29 PM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> On 2010-03-17 17:51, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>
>> hey IOhannes,
>>
>> Why generate verbosity levels on the fly?  So far we've been using
>> the
>> syslog levels, I think we should stick with that and use that
>> throughout.
>>

> so far nobody has been using "syslog" levels. i don't know when they
> entered the game.
>
> however, the main reason to "generate on the fly" was, that i prefer
> say "i want loglevels up to 7" rather than i want loglevels "1" and
> "2"
> and "3" and "4" and "5" and "6" and "7".
>
> at a central point in the code i define a "maxverbosity". the code
> then
> generates menuitems for each loglevel.
> in the past there was a "maxverbosity"; and then there was a menu,
> where
> you could chose totally unrelated loglevels; code relying on
> maxverbosity (e.g. colouring code), would work only by chance with the
> loglevels selected by the menu.
> i prefer to change values in a single place.
> and i prefer to let computers do what they are better at than me (e.g.
> counting)
>
> if "syslog" for you means you have loglevels 0..7, then go ahead and
> set
> maxverbosity to "7" and that's it.
>
> if instead of system administration, you want to go with many
> programming frameworks (log4j and it's various clones like log4c,
> log4perl, log4..), set the maxverbosity to "5".
>
> i agree that we should eventually agree on a common maxverbosity.
> but this should still be managed centrally, and not cluttered around
> the
> code.

This sounds a lot more complicated without much real gain.  How about
just emulating syslog? Its a tried true way to do it, and it is
already widely understood and documented.

	- messages post at log levels 0-7
	- the menu item sets the "all levels up to X"
	- the messages are tagged with level to be optionally colorized

If nature has made any one thing less susceptible than all others of
it to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into
the possession of everyone, and the receiver cannot dispossess himself
of it.            - Thomas Jefferson