[PD-dev] clock_delay question

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Sun Mar 21 17:45:04 CET 2010

> Likewise, I noticed that netclient (maxlib) uses something called
> sys_pollfn() call, is this safe?

Oops, I meant sys_addpollfn()...

Another question related to this. In the netclient.c (maxlib) there is
the following code excerpt:

	/* get's called when connection has been made */
static void netclient_tick(t_netclient *x)
{
    outlet_float(x->x_outconnect, 1);
		/* add pollfunction for checking for input */
	sys_addpollfn(x->x_fd, (t_fdpollfn)netclient_rcv, x);
}

Isn't the outlet_float call here unsafe as it is being triggered by an
external potentially out-of-sync force (namely connection)? Shouldn't
this be done through clock_delay() just to be safe? If I understand this
correctly, Pd does audio in 64-byte chunks and then the data processing
in between. Is this correct?

If so, how does Pd deal with such events if they happen during the times
the pd's message tree is not being traversed (e.g. during the dsp
cycle)?

Best wishes,

Ico