[PD-dev] [ pure-data-Bugs-1821847 ] writesf~ doesn't write sound to files

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Tue Mar 30 02:35:03 CEST 2010

Bugs item #1821847, was opened at 2007-10-28 19:12
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by eighthave
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=478070&aid=1821847&group_id=55736

not just the latest update.
Category: puredata
Group: v0.39.2

Initial Comment:

I have been wrestling with tracking down why my Swirler program won't record audio.  Most of the time, when I try to use [writesf~] to record, it does not work at all. It creates the file when I send the open message, and I get a file of 44 bytes, then when I click start, and then stop, the file does not change.

Occasionally, it will record about 1-2 seconds of material, no matter when I hit stop.  Very occasionally, it will work fine on its own.

I tried also with the writesf~ help patch, as well as others.  It seems that my program Swirler stops writesf~ from working anywhere.  writesf~ works fine until I run Swirler and click the "start" button, which turns on the DSP and starts the audio processing part.

This is currently happening on Mac Book Pro/Intel running 10.4.10 with Pd-0.40-2, Pd-0.39.3-extended, and Pd-0.40.3-extended-20071026. This happened previously with Pd-0.39.3-extended-rc? on a PowerMac G5/PowerPC running Mac OS X 10.4.8(ish).

I compiled Pd with DEBUG_SOUNDFILE on to see if I could see what's happening.  You can plainly see it's not writing data to the file.  I found a strange workaround sequence that makes it record, but then the write cycle is strange, it goes in bursts every few seconds rather than a chunk every second.

I attached the swirler program and some transcripts from teh DEBUG_SOUNDFILE stuff.