[PD-dev] path for embedded examples

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Mon Apr 12 17:32:01 CEST 2010

On Apr 12, 2010, at 3:43 AM, Roman Haefeli wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-04-12 at 09:33 +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:

>>> - use [declare -stdpath extra/mylib] for all example patches
>>> (works on
>>> any branch of Pd and works even when the example patch is saved
>>> elsewhere)
>>
>> I think, this doesn't work if "mylib" isn't installed or isn't
>> installed in
>> "extra".
>
> True. But since we're talking about example patches _coming with_
> certain libraries, I think it does make sense to assume that the
> original library is installed, and installed in "extra".
> Or am I missing something here?

Yeah, [declare -stdpath extra/mylib] requires the library to be in the
'extra' folder.  [declare -path ..] will work anywhere that library
is, but won't work if the example is saved outside of the library
folder.

Also, stdpath will add the library to the global path, right?  That
seems like a bad idea.  That could change the objects that other
patches get without any real warning.  It needs to be something that
only applies to that particular patch.

Computer science is no more related to the computer than astronomy is
related to the telescope.      -Edsger Dykstra