[PD-dev] Upcoming ICMC L2Ork workshop at NYC Resistor
Ivica Ico Bukvic
ico at vt.edu
Sun May 2 21:54:59 CEST 2010
Apologies for cross-posting...
Dear Colleagues and fellow computer music enthusiasts,
On May 30th 1pm-7pm EST @ NYC Resistor L2Ork will hold a one-day workshop on building Linux-based laptop orchestra and unique opportunities such an ensemble brings about.
L2Ork is an ultra-affordable tool for handling administrative logistics associated with starting a new Linux-based laptop orchestra using exclusively free software and cost-efficient hardware. The workshop will cover general issues in regards to starting a Linux-based laptop orchestra, as well as provide an opportunity for the workshop participants to engage in writing for L2Ork. The workshop will also cover L2Ork's latest initiative to bridge STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) and Arts in K-12 education and funding opportunities such a project may bring about.
Participants will learn about:
* administrative and logistical prerequisites for starting a Linux-based laptop orchestra
* design considerations in designing and building adequate infrastructure (speakers, soundcard, system configuration and optimization)
* streamlining Linux platform
* optimizing Pure-Data software for GUI-based networked performances
* ensuing creative opportunities of a networked laptop orchestra
* design strategies and standards developed for writing pieces for the L2Ork ensemble
* education-based opportunities attained through L2Ork's ultra-affordable infrastructure
* logistical considerations in building GUIs for a diverse group of performers with widely varying amount of musical training and experience
* wiimote strategies for an ensemble-oriented performance
* strategies for incorporating soloists into the L2Ork ensemble
Participants will be given access to:
* all L2Ork's resources, including custom code and Pure-Data abstractions designed specifically for the orchestra and its input devices
* customized Pure-Data software platform with performance, editor, and GUI enhancements
* access to software repository containing optimized Linux kernel and supporting software as well as turnkey Linux setup containing an entire hard-drive image of the L2Ork Linux system
* detailed list of parts necessary to build L2Ork-compatible ~$250 hemispherical speakers and a ~$750/seat turnkey setup including a laptop, external soundcard, wiimote & nunchuk, headset, cables and accessories, and a custom hemispherical speaker.
All participants will be also given an opportunity to interact with L2Ork members (performers and researchers alike) as well as submit their own works for programming consideration by the L2Ork ensemble.
For a more detailed overview and registration info please visit:
NB: please note that the times listed on the aforesaid site are in Pacific Time.
For additional info on L2Ork, please visit http://l2ork.music.vt.edu.
Should you happen to have any questions, suggestions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Ivica Ico Bukvic, D.M.A.
Composition, Music Technology
Director, DISIS Interactive Sound & Intermedia Studio
Director, L2Ork Linux Laptop Orchestra
Assistant Co-Director, CCTAD
CHCI, CS, and Art (by courtesy)
Dept. of Music - 0240
Blacksburg, VA 24061
(540) 231-5034 (fax)
ico at vt.edu
More information about the Pd-dev