[PD-dev] [ pure-data-Bugs-2990309 ] dumpOSC fails to create if no arguments

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Thu May 6 04:20:35 CEST 2010

Bugs item #2990309, was opened at 2010-04-21 08:34
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by sf-robot
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=478070&aid=2990309&group_id=55736

not just the latest update.
Category: externals
Group: None

Initial Comment:
If you try to create a [dumpOSC] without supplying a creation argument (the port number I guess, btw there's no help patch), it fails to create but it gives no specific error message. Just as if the dll wasn't found.

Date: 2010-05-06 02:20

Message:
This Tracker item was closed automatically by the system. It was
previously set to a Pending status, and the original submitter
did not respond within 14 days (the time period specified by
the administrator of this Tracker).

Comment By: IOhannes m zmlnig (zmoelnig)
Date: 2010-04-21 11:49

Message:
sure

i only looked at the code and there it says that it will print out the
error before failing to create.
at this point i hadn't even tried to create an OSCx object.

then, i added an "OSCx is deprecated" message to the three OSCx objects
(which get's printed whenever one of these objects is created), which i
think is enough hint for the user (rather than creating help-patches).
while doing so, i i also created [dumpOSC] (without args) and can confirm
that it also prints out the warning about empty arguments (i also added a
hint that a "port number" is missing)

i think with my additions (deprecation-message and hint that it is the
port-number that's missing) we can close this issue

Comment By: Matteo Sisti Sette (sistisette)
Date: 2010-04-21 11:39

Message:
IOhannes, OK I won't use dumpOSC, I didn't know it was deprecated. It would
be fine to include some note in the help patches (which don't exist) so
that a user can know the objects are deprecated.

Regarding this:

> furthermore, [dumpOSC]will print out an error to the console if you
don't
> specify an argument ("[dumpOSC] needs at least one argument")

maybe your version does; I use the Pd Extended precompiled binaries for
Windows from puredata.info, and I can assure you that the only error
message that appears on the consol is:
 dumpOSC: couldn't create

Comment By: IOhannes m zmlnig (zmoelnig)
Date: 2010-04-21 08:48

Message:
furthermore, [dumpOSC]will print out an error to the console if you don't
specify an argument ("[dumpOSC] needs at least one argument")

the message could be more meaningful (i changed that now), but it still
has tto be read....

Comment By: IOhannes m zmlnig (zmoelnig)
Date: 2010-04-21 08:41

Message:
i will not get tired of that:
do not use [dumpOSC] (and other friends from OSCx), as they are buggy,
outdated, unmaintained and superceded by the better-designed, up-to-date,
actively maintained objects from mrpeach.

the objects are mainly there for legacy reasons.