[PD-dev] flext

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Thu Jul 1 04:43:21 CEST 2010

The idea is to have all libraries have their own standalone build
systems that do not rely on the packages/Makefile.buildlayout stuff.
That's the idea with the Makefile/library template.

I think the best plan for flext would be to make a version of the
template Makefile that works for C++/flext.  Then that Makefile can
easily be used for Debian/Ubuntu/RPM/etc. packaging.

http://puredata.info/docs/developer/MakefileTemplate

I could see including the flext library itself in Pd-extended, that is
if it is not changing much.  But the externals itself should start out
separately distributed libdirs IMHO.

.hc

On Jun 28, 2010, at 9:50 PM, dmotd wrote:

> hi hans,
>
> the work i've done slots straight into the existing
> externals/Makefile structure and currently builds fine on
> linux, it uses thomas' build system and until a better
> autoconf alternative is created, this is by far the easiest
> (and has been working quite well for years). as such this a
> multi-class single lib system.
>
> i have followed the libdir rules, with help-files
> abstraction (and in py/ext case scriptets) in each libs own
> dir, and other stuff in examples. the actual flext headers
> and libs get installed in their own $prefix/include
> $prefix/lib.
>
> my intention is to get the flext externals into the nightly
> autobuid. i'm not sure what you mean by 'distribuited as
> stand-alone', if this is a reference to your plan to split
> supported pd-extended libs into individual packages, then
> i'll need to know more about what scripts you have at your
> disposal and your release schedule for this new packaging
> system.
>
> i've attached a diff of my working makefile, which will need
> to be tested against other platforms and linux
> distributions. currently the following libs build and
> install correctly: absattr, pool, py, xsample (i am waitinng
> on some fixes up stream for clk and vasp)
>
> sorry for not emailing earlier, i've had little time to work
> on this stuff and just ran with the momentum with the small
> time i have had.
>
> cheers,
> dmotd
>
> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>
>> Hey, I just saw you are working flext stuff, lots of people will
>> appreciate that.  I don't know your plan, but I wanted to save you
>> some effort.  At this point, I think that the flext stuff should be
>> distributed as standalone libraries, rather than integrated with Pd-
>> extended.  That makes it easier to package too, for things like
>> archlinux, Debian, Fedora, etc.
>>
>> Also, if you are starting in on packaging things for archlinux,
>> check out the externals/template.  If you can make a template
>> archlinux packaging file for that, then it'll be really easy to make
>> packages for all of the libraries that use that template:
>>
>> http://puredata.info/docs/developer/MakefileTemplate
>>
>> .hc

>> News is what people want to keep hidden and everything else is
>> publicity.          - Bill Moyers
>>

> <flext.diff>

I hate it when they say, "He gave his life for his country."  Nobody
gives their life for anything.  We steal the lives of these kids.  -
Admiral Gene LeRocque