[PD-dev] flext

dmotd inaudible at simplesuperlativ.es
Thu Jul 1 19:03:00 CEST 2010

hi hans,

okay, i still have no real idea what you are talking about
here? i get the makefile template, but how exactly does this
relate to a buildsystem, the examples that use the template
are still called by the centralised makefile?

thomas maintains his own buildsystem and as much as its
apparently stumped a bunch of people in the past, it is
designed for cross platform AND max/msp. to redesign an
entire build system to fit a template, for sake of maintaining
some design rules seems a little over the top, that's why i
decided to simply wrap it. besides, the flext layer has enough
complexity to require a decent autoconf first, and if recent
threads are correct, there's no libdir based autoconf
template.

the thing that has me confused is this notion of packaging?
if pd-X is going to disolve into a system of separated libs
(libdirs?) called by a virtual package 'pd-X', and thus
'debianize' the entire system, then i support that - however
there must be some wrapper script that does the job that
pd-X currently does? i understand that the template is
designed to make that job simpler, by making the build
assumptions the responsibility of each lib and creating a
libdir path, but how does this actually spawn packages?

what i like about pd-X is that it unifies a lot of extras
and provides a neat wrapper for the build, so i'm assuming
that your direction will be providing scripts to wrap
certain build environments (osx/win/fed/deb/ubu/etc).  have
you got examples of how this next generation of build
scripts will look with the makefile-template, or will the
current centralised system slowly morph into the desired
endpoint? i am a little concerned that a 'one size fits all'
may not fit all...

anyway, without some guidelines, i'm not sure i will ever
understand what you have in mind, and what is acceptable
practice. i'm just wanting to contribute something that's
been missing from the pd-x object pool, without getting too
caught up in some fundamental change of practice.

best,
dmotd