[PD-dev] uploading Pd git repository to sourceforge

Stephen Sinclair radarsat1 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 21:03:00 CEST 2010

Hello!  Thanks for the git repo, it's a much preferable way to follow
Pd development for me..

Just for some feedback, here's my session trying to compile it..

$ ./autogen.sh
autoreconf: Entering directory `.'
autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Gettext
autoreconf: running: aclocal --force -I m4
aclocal: couldn't open directory `m4': No such file or directory
autoreconf: aclocal failed with exit status: 1

$ mkdir m4
$ ./autogen.sh
.. snip.. success.

$ ./configure
.. snip.. success.

$ make
.. snip ..
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `AppMain.tcl', needed by `all-am'.  Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/sinclairs/projects/pd-vanilla/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/sinclairs/projects/pd-vanilla'
make: *** [all] Error 2

It seems the src/Makefile.am file needs all the .tcl files, but these
are actually in the "tcl" folder, not "src".

$ cp tcl/*.tcl src/
$ make
.. snip ..
Making all in extra
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/sinclairs/projects/pd-vanilla/extra'
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `all'.  Stop.

Seems like there is no Makefile.am in "extra".  Saw that
extra/makefile exists.. got confused, so I edited Makefile.am to
remove "extra" from SUBDIRS.

$ make
.. snip.. SUCCESS.

I saw that I could cd to each of the subfolders under "extra" and make
each of them individually, since they seem to include "extra/makefile"
while filing in the NAME variable.  I would maybe suggest renaming
"makefile" to something like "external.mk", since the name "makefile"
suggests to me that I should be able to run "make" in that folder.  Or
alternatively just going all the way with automake by providing
Makefile.am in each of these folders.  In any case if there is no
Makefile.am in extra, it shouldn't be included in SUBDIRS..

Steve