[PD-dev] automake in git

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Thu Jul 15 16:25:33 CEST 2010

On Jul 15, 2010, at 10:13 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> On 2010-07-15 16:08, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>
>> That rather tedious enumeration is something that rarely changes and
>> provides error checking where automatic enumeration does not.  A
>> build
>> system should know if any of the relevant files are missing, and it
>> should ignore all non-relevant files.  Therefore tedious
>> enumeration is
>> often the best practice.
>>

> sure sometimes this is true.
> in other cases, it boils down to a human-written list that contains
> files that were non-relevant from the beginning...

Which files are non-relevant that are included in extra/Makefile?

> anyhow, i'm not so objecting enumeration, but i'm very much objecting
> enumeration of files for extra/pd~/ in extra/Makefile. shouldn't
> they be
> enumerated in extra/pd~/Makefile?

Or how about making 'extra' have a flat directory structure, that
would also simplify things.  The symlinking in the existing extra
makefiles is horrendous, IMHO. I've wasted too much time on those
kludges.

Looking at things from a more basic level, you can come up with a more
direct solution... It may sound small in theory, but it in practice,
it can change entire economies.     - Amy Smith