[PD-dev] git workflow idea

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Wed Jul 21 03:42:33 CEST 2010

hey all,

I've been diving into git and trying to figure out a workflow to
represent how we work.  I think its going to be like a smaller version
of the Linux workflow for now at least.  I've set up my git to have
its master up on gitorious.  Then I can "git pull msp master" to pull
from Miller's repo on SourceForge.  I did this by adding these to
puredata.git/.git/config:

[remote "origin"]
	url = git at gitorious.org:pdvanilla-hcs/pdvanilla-hcs.git
	fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/origin/*

[remote "msp"]
	url = ssh://eighthave@pure-data.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/pure-data/pure-data
	fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/origin/*

[branch "master"]
         remote = origin
         merge = refs/heads/master

The other key thing I was reading is about "git rebase", it sounds
like the "feature branch" workflow will work best for use.  Basically,
make a local branch for a feature, commit lots, when done, rebase into
clean patches and merge into local master, then submit patch to
Miller.  Something like:

- git pull msp (update to latest code from Miller)
- git checkout -b new_branch (start new branch)
- git commit (commit all changes to the local branch)
- git rebase -i ("rebase" the commits in the branch into clean patches"
- git checkout master (switch to master branch)
- git pull msp (update to latest code from Miller)
- git checkout new_branch  (switch back to new_branch)
- git rebase master (merge in new_branch into local master)