[PD-dev] buildbot or some other proper build automation

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Fri Aug 20 03:37:52 CEST 2010

On Jul 9, 2010, at 4:49 PM, András Murányi wrote:

>>> Hello HC,
>>>
>>> still frequent failures because of the non existing directory. I'm
>>> serious - if you want to give a chance to uploaders from 'earlier'
>>> time zones than NYC you got to have the directory created
>>> earlier.... (just imagine Japan guys, they'd have a crazy short
>>> time frame to upload with the current setup)
>>> BTW can we file bugs against the autobuild system on SF? I suppose
>>> not...
>>>
>>> Andras
>>
>> IMHO, the auto-build scripts are a big kludge, so I don't want to
>> spend more time on them.  And did the bulk of writing them.  :)  We
>> should use something like buildbot, but no one has set it up yet.
>> If you are interested, that would be a great project to take on.
>>
>> .hc
>>

>> Sounds cool. I'd be interested in picking up this project if you
>> can help me with the things i'm not so good at: the first is
>> platforms.
>> Buildbot seems something web-centered, and needs Twisted on the
>> clients too. Twisted is installed by default with Ubuntu and MacOSX
>> 10.5+, available for Windows and the rest goes from source. This
>> means, at a first glance, that Mac 10.4, Fedora and every other
>> Linux than Ubuntu, will need Twisted to be built or prebuilt, and
>> i'm not sure about 64-bit platforms and PPC. Python will be needed
>> to, i suppose it's more widely available.
>> What do you think?
>>
>> Andras
>
> We should move this discussion to pd-dev so its archived and others
> can contribute/learn/follow.  I hope you don't mind, I cc'ed pd-dev.
>
> I think we can get twisted installed on 10.4 using Fink.  Its
> included in Debian too.  We'll need to install it manually on
> Windows, or however appropriate.  That said, I am not married to
> buildbot, if you want to take on this project, feel free to research
> other options.  There are some that are Java-based for example.  I
> just remember builtbot sounding like the best back when I looked
> into it.
>
> .hc
>
> I have had the same impression, so i'm interested. It's just that we
> shall foresee what's foreseeable before jumping on it.
> So if anyone knows anything possibly better that Buildbot speak up.
> Java stuff, i'm not so much into it, but that's just me.
>
> Andras

Any word on the possibility of buildbot or something else?  I'd love
to have a system where people could have their libraries built on all
platforms separate from Pd-extended. Also, builds of the various git
branches of 0.43 that are cropping up could be useful too.

"Free software means you control what your computer does. Non-free
software means someone else controls that, and to some extent controls
you." - Richard M. Stallman