[PD-dev] buildbot or some other proper build automation

András Murányi muranyia at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 04:54:30 CEST 2010

2010/8/20 Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at>

> On Jul 9, 2010, at 4:49 PM, András Murányi wrote:
>

>>> Hello HC,
>>>
>>> still frequent failures because of the non existing directory. I'm
>>> serious - if you want to give a chance to uploaders from 'earlier' time
>>> zones than NYC you got to have the directory created earlier.... (just
>>> imagine Japan guys, they'd have a crazy short time frame to upload with the
>>> current setup)
>>> BTW can we file bugs against the autobuild system on SF? I suppose not...
>>>
>>> Andras
>>>

>>> IMHO, the auto-build scripts are a big kludge, so I don't want to spend
>>> more time on them.  And did the bulk of writing them.  :)  We should use
>>> something like buildbot, but no one has set it up yet.  If you are
>>> interested, that would be a great project to take on.
>>>
>>> .hc
>>>

>> Sounds cool. I'd be interested in picking up this project if you can help
>> me with the things i'm not so good at: the first is platforms.
>> Buildbot seems something web-centered, and needs Twisted on the clients
>> too. Twisted is installed by default with Ubuntu and MacOSX 10.5+, available
>> for Windows and the rest goes from source. This means, at a first glance,
>> that Mac 10.4, Fedora and every other Linux than Ubuntu, will need Twisted
>> to be built or prebuilt, and i'm not sure about 64-bit platforms and PPC.
>> Python will be needed to, i suppose it's more widely available.
>> What do you think?
>>

>> Andras
>>

>> We should move this discussion to pd-dev so its archived and others can
>> contribute/learn/follow.  I hope you don't mind, I cc'ed pd-dev.
>>
>> I think we can get twisted installed on 10.4 using Fink.  Its included in
>> Debian too.  We'll need to install it manually on Windows, or however
>> appropriate.  That said, I am not married to buildbot, if you want to take
>> on this project, feel free to research other options.  There are some that
>> are Java-based for example.  I just remember builtbot sounding like the best
>> back when I looked into it.
>>
>> .hc
>>

> I have had the same impression, so i'm interested. It's just that we shall
> foresee what's foreseeable before jumping on it.
> So if anyone knows anything possibly better that Buildbot speak up. Java
> stuff, i'm not so much into it, but that's just me.
>
> Andras
>

> Any word on the possibility of buildbot or something else?  I'd love to
> have a system where people could have their libraries built on all platforms
> separate from Pd-extended. Also, builds of the various git branches of 0.43
> that are cropping up could be useful too.

Shall we start testing it, shant we? I could set up a master and a slave on
my box, but it may be more straightforward to start setting up the master
where it will really be. If you simply install buildbot on a server there
and create a buildbot user i can take over from there. Otherwise i set them
up all here.
Let's test with a single source tree (and a single build slave) and when it
works well we can add more.
Seems like no changes or additions are needed to the source, just working
out a huge config file on the master.

Andras