[PD-dev] run-up to release 0.43

Matt Barber brbrofsvl at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 17:59:20 CEST 2010

> As for [initbang] - my only use has been for making abstractions that
> can spawn a variable number of inlets/outlets.  That's the only way
> I've used it and the only way I've ever seen it used-- if there are
> other uses maybe someone else on this list can give an example.
>
> The [initbang] object gives abstractions
> the ability to do something that otherwise would only be possible by
> coding an external in another programming language.  For example,
> with [initbang] I can quickly make an abstraction that can act like
> Max/MSP's [trigger] object-- where you can specify numeric values as
> arguments ( like [trigger b 0] ).

In other words, you want Pd to include "meta" capabilities enough that
abstractions have all the functionality of coded objects.  [initbang]
would be one step in this direction, but there would be at least these
other requirements:

1) The ability, in vanilla, to dynamically delete individual
instantiated objects without "dynamic mousing."

2) Left [inlet~] that can take messages like [bang( or [stop( and pass them.

3) [inlet~] that can output a settable constant signal upon creation
(imagine if you wanted to create [tabosc4~] as an abstraction using a
[phasor~] and a [tabread4~] -- there isn't currently a good way to
connect the [inlet~] to the phasor and also have a default frequency
creation arg).

4) In some cases, access to name of the parent patch could be helpful.

Matt