[PD-dev] initbang and friends WAS: run-up to release 0.43

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Fri Aug 20 20:02:08 CEST 2010

On Aug 20, 2010, at 5:42 AM, IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:

> On 08/20/2010 12:37 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>
>> While I can't really comment on the implementation since i haven't
>> reviewed it in depth, I can say that I am a fan of having the
>> interface
>> be a series of *bang objects over having a [loadbang] with
>> arguments.  I
>> think its nice, simple, and clear.  Then we also can have things like
>> [propertybang] for implementing Properties panels in abstractions.
>
> ahm, what is wrong with the [propertybang] as found in iemguts?
> and how would the inclusion of [initbang] be related to this?
>
> or is it just a general comment on why you (and me :-)) prefer a
> number
> of *bang objects over e.g. [loadbang close]
>

> as for the implementation: i don't care if it was implemented
> differently.
> iirc, i tried to follow the implementation style as closely as that of
> the rest of Pd ;-)

I'm saying I like the interface of having a suite of objects called
*bang rather than [loadbang close], etc.  it makes them super easy to
use and remember.

[initbang]
[loadbang]
[propertybang]
[closebang]

>> Also, I've used [initbang] some in Pd-extended and so far it works
>> well.
>> [closebang] is tricky because the patch is being deleted when its
>> triggered.
>
> well yes, that's the idea of [closebang], no?
> i don't really understand what is tricky about it.

Well, it doesn't really seem to work.  Or at least the [closebang] in
Pd-extended doesn't seem to ever output the bang.

.hc