[PD-dev] run-up to release 0.43

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 22 19:21:00 CEST 2010

--- On Fri, 8/20/10, Matt Barber <brbrofsvl at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Matt Barber <brbrofsvl at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [PD-dev] run-up to release 0.43
> To: "Jonathan Wilkes" <jancsika at yahoo.com>
> Cc: pd-dev at iem.at
> Date: Friday, August 20, 2010, 5:59 PM
> >
> > As for [initbang] - my only use has been for making
> abstractions that
> > can spawn a variable number of inlets/outlets.
> That's the only way
> > I've used it and the only way I've ever seen it used--
> if there are
> > other uses maybe someone else on this list can give an
> example.
> >
> > The [initbang] object gives abstractions
> > the ability to do something that otherwise would only
> be possible by
> > coding an external in another programming language.
> For example,
> > with [initbang] I can quickly make an abstraction that
> can act like
> > Max/MSP's [trigger] object-- where you can specify
> numeric values as
> > arguments ( like [trigger b 0] ).
>

> In other words, you want Pd to include "meta" capabilities
> enough that
> abstractions have all the functionality of coded
> objects.  [initbang]
> would be one step in this direction, but there would be at
> least these
> other requirements:

I'm interested in that, too, but the main reason I ask about
[initbang] is because its patch has been sitting there on Sourceforge
since 2006, and has been used in Pd-ext since then (and I haven't found
any bugs so far with it) but not in Vanilla.  If you do as the
Sourceforge comments suggest and search the archives you'll not only
find reasons for why the object is needed as I've suggested here, but
also requests by developers (including yourself, I think) for the object
to be included as an internal Pd object.

To make a max-compatible [trigger] I don't need any of the other meta-features you mention (which are good ideas).  I just need
[initbang].  It only has one outlet, and I've never needed more than one
in an abstraction.  So if future-[loadbang]-with-args were implemented
tomorrow I'd just need to change one object for my max-compatible
[trigger] to work across all Pd versions.

-Jonathan