[PD-dev] buildbot or some other proper build automation

András Murányi muranyia at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 02:26:11 CEST 2010

> I'm working on the master config...
> One thing it needs is the (domain name and) port number where buildbot's
> own http server will be visible. Default is 8010. I guess it just needs to
> be open to the WAN and that's it.
>

> I think 8010 and 10012 are not filtered on that network.

cool

> I couldn't yet find a way to schedule in an anarcon-like manner, but i'll
> keep digging.
>

> That machine is up all the time, so regular cron is fine.

it's about the uptime of slaves, and scheduling is handled by the buildbot
master (internally). e.g. my box is up very irregularly, which a called a
"latent slave" in buildbot world, and i'm yet to understand how to integrate
it
http://buildbot.net/buildbot/docs/current/Latent-Buildslaves.html
http://www.codelord.net/2009/10/04/writing-a-buildbot-latent-build-slave/

> Then the build sources/targets: one will be vanilla, which is in git,
> right? Or can i find it in SVN too? Buildbot seems to handle SVN more easily
> than git. The other is pdextended, is it true that it cannot be fetched with
> a one-liner, but we still need to get the 0.42 core and GEM separately? It
> will be a bit cumbersome to do this with buildbot (especially when detecting
> changes).
>

> vanilla is in git.  Pd-extended 0.42 can be fetched with a oneliner using
> svn, it is just that currently Gem is an svn:external.  Oh wait, perhaps
> 'scripts' is still from trunk.  I can fix that.  I think the first thing
> that would be most valuable is setting up builds for individual libraries,
> so checking out from svn and building, so like
>
> svn co
> https://pure-data.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/pure-data/trunk/externals/windowing
> cd windowing
> make
> make install
> make dist

ok, i'll test with single libraries (once i'm there), and will work it out
as far as making a complete pd-extended. you could tell me then which
sources we actually want to build at the end (and, eventually, you could
also tell me what commands to use to build each source tree.)

> Can buildbot handle making debian packages?  That would be nice.  I think
> that could be a oneliner.

it can attend "make package" or packaging by shell command, but only RPM
creation is built in :(

Andras