[PD-dev] initbang and friends WAS: run-up to release 0.43

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Aug 24 08:57:34 CEST 2010

On 2010-08-23 19:10, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:

> Btw-- in your live-coding example you mentioned you were sending
> the audio to a bus and would use [initbang] to fade in.  But
> how do you use [closebang] to fade out?  Does [closebang] send
> a trigger to one of the sister abstractions to do the fade out?

right.
on creation of the bus-sender, i dynamically create a proxy bus-receiver
abstraction that receives the signal, does a fade in, delays the signal
by a certain amount and adds it to the real summing bus.
once the bus-sender get's destroyed it notifies the proxy receiver that
the signal is going to vanish, and the proxy does a fade out (it has
some time left, as it has delayed the signal) and then destroys itself.

> Right-- in that case you would use Frank's method.  Although
> in an oscillator bank patch I made, sending a "loadbang" message

this really depends on the original problem.
in many cases it is enough to just re-trigger the loadbang (with the
"loadbang" message).
in other cases it is not enough.
e.g. when you don't create all instances of your oscillator bank in zero
logical time, but as they are needed.
then you often don't want loadbangS to re-fire.
this of course can easily be fixed by creating a [loadbangonce] abstraction.

but just because you can already solve some issues with the current
mechanisms, doesn't mean that they can't be improved (esp. when the
improvement makes things possible that are currently impossible)

> crashed Pd.  I changed it to [r $1-loadbang] as a workaround, but
> I never went back and hunted down the original problem.

which is a pity, as now there is only the rumour of a bug, which is way
worse than a real bug (fixing a rumour proves harder than fixing a bug)

>> so you cannot use [initbang] to initialize the parent
>> patch.
>> darn, bad naming again.
>> probably [createbang] would be better (esp. if [closebang]
>> is renamed to
>> [destroybang])
>> or use [constructorbang] and [destructorbang]
>>

>> anyhow, whatever the name of the object (even [loadbang
>> really-early]),
>> th changes to the c-sources will be very similar.
>
> [preloadbang]

as a matter of fact, i think [loadbang] has a bad naming as well.

sdf
IOhannes