[PD-dev] initbang and friends WAS: run-up to release 0.43

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Aug 24 09:04:37 CEST 2010

On 2010-08-24 05:39, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

>> or use [constructorbang] and [destructorbang]
>
> [createbang] and [destroybang] is a nice pair. :)

yes, but they have 2 drawbacks:

- the seem to be "actors" rather than "reactors"; e.g. i would expect
[destroybang] to destroy something, rather than tell me when things are
destroyed. (btw, [loadbang] has the same issue)

- they invent different names for things already well established and
baptized in the computer science, namely "constructor" and "destructor".
this adds confusion for people that already know the concept, and
doesn't help people that don't know the concepts yet (and i firmly
believe that we shouldn't take patchers for fools - regardless of
whether we want to be pedagogical or not)

the main pro is, that the names are shorter.

mfgsdf
IOhannes