[PD-dev] initbang and friends WAS: run-up to release 0.43

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Aug 25 09:13:27 CEST 2010

On 2010-08-24 22:17, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:

> I'd love to see an example of this in action.  Just from your
> description I'm wondering why you wouldn't do the fade from inside
> the abstraction, and just delay destroying it until the fade out has
> finished.

ever tried to delay destroying an object?
i'm mainly talking about objects that get automatically recreated by Pd
(not where i just chose to remove the object because i don't like it any
more)

> Rumors can only start when people don't choose their words carefully.

you are very optimistic.
at least i would rephrase to: "Rumors start because people cannot choose
their words carefully."

>> as a matter of fact, i think [loadbang] has a bad naming as
>> well.
>
> But unless you have some extraordinarily clear name in
> mind as a replacement that outweighs the problems of replacing an object

i'm not suggesting to replace the name [loadbang].

> that is currently Max compatible and has a startup flag with its name in
> it (not to mention however many people's patches that depend upon it),
> there's not much to be done about it.
>
> Hm, looking at Max's docs I see [loadbang] sends out a bang on double
> click.  That's pretty nifty!

i think it's pretty daft, as a [loadbang] is a way to automate things
without user interaction whereas double clicking only makes sense in
user interaction.
anyhow, if you think it's really missing roll your own (or use the attached)

fgmadr
IOhannes