[PD-dev] Unicode works OK with cyrillic :)

Bryan Jurish jurish at uni-potsdam.de
Wed Aug 25 23:50:47 CEST 2010

morning Ilya,

On 2010-08-25 23:26:52, errordeveloper at gmail.com appears to have written:
> Hello,
>
> just to confirm that cyrillic works fine now after
> git up; ./configure && make

yippee!

> but i had to copy ./src/pd into ./bin ..
>
> and typing object names is russian gives obj box which is not wide
> enough ..

hmm... that could also be a problem with the utf8 code which maps
between logical character lengths and byte lengths... do you have an
example patch or an example object name (utf-8 encoded preferably :-)
which overflows its box?

There may be some potential hiccups with unicode combining diacritic
characters (U+0300 - U+036F) -- afaik, these animals should never
actually allocate any width for themselves, but rather attach to the
most recent "normal" character.  I seem to vaguely recall some fonts
and/or renderers though which treat combining diacritics as "normal"
characters (i.e. requiring their own width allocation).  I believe I
tried some combining diacritics in my utf-8 test patches (I see them a
lot these days, most commonly U+0364 = "combining latin small letter
e"), and seem to recall that Tk (8.5) rendered them correctly, but I may
be misremembering...

> may be using different font it would work ..

... which fonts are you using?

marmosets,
	Bryan

--
Bryan Jurish                       "There is *always* one more bug."
jurish at uni-potsdam.de       -Lubarsky's Law of Cybernetic Entomology