[PD-dev] buildbot or some other proper build automation

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Thu Aug 26 19:20:50 CEST 2010

On Aug 26, 2010, at 12:55 PM, András Murányi wrote:

>> so... (tada.wav) Vanilla builds alrite on one slave. Nest step
>> would be uploading the file, this can be done internally, just tell
>> me please which file or directory is the actual build? And... how
>> do we make a package with the Vanilla source? Sorry I never built
>> it myself.
>> Some more questions that came up meanwhile: Shall we update or copy
>> the source each time? (see http://buildbot.net/buildbot/docs/latest/Source-Checkout.html)
>>  Do we need --enable-jack to configure Vanilla (after autogen)?
>>
>> Andras
>
> The way that this would be super useful is if buildbot builds after
> every commit to SVN or git.  It looks like SVN polling support is
> built-in
>
> http://buildbot.net/buildbot/docs/0.7.12/#SVNPoller
>
> For git, it supports checkout, but there are some external scripts
> for polling:
>
> http://buildbot.net/buildbot/docs/0.7.12/#Git
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/645430/have-buildbot-poll-a-git-repository-for-new-commits
> http://buildbot.net/trac/ticket/130
>
> .hc
>
> yes, git is more cumbersome when it comes to polling, so i will work
> this out with daily builds and see the polling stuff after. the
> older buildbot version also has some limitations in this direction.

I think we can start with SVN since that should be easier.  If that
works nicely, then we can struggle to get git polling working.

> can you help me with the other questions please?
> - is --enable-jack needed to configure Vanilla?

Not needed, but it would be good to have in the test builds to make
sure it works.

> - where do i find the Vanilla build when ready?
> - how do we make a package of Vanilla?

We could do something like "make DESTDIR=/tmp install" and then run it
from there for tests.

> - which mode shall the slaves use to checkout the source?

I'm not sure what "mode" means in this context.  Here's the git URL to
use for pd-vanilla:

git://pure-data.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/pure-data/pure-data

I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my
how to use my telephone."  --Bjarne Stroustrup (creator of C++)