[PD-dev] buildbot or some other proper build automation

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Sun Aug 29 20:15:35 CEST 2010

On Sat, 2010-08-28 at 20:36 +0200, András Murányi wrote:

>         I think i'll go setup the slaves - then they will only need be
>         prepared to start up on boot:
>         http://buildbot.net/buildbot/docs/latest/Launching-the-daemons.html where SLAVE_BASEDIRs are /var/lib/buildbot/slavename (or whereever buildbot lives on the particular OS; slavenames are already in /var/lib/buildbot/pd-master/master.cfg, line 65, on 128.238.56.50)
>

> Bang, i need to do sudo to set up the slaves...
>
> What i need to do exactly is:
> sudo -u buildbot mkdir /var/lib/buildbot/slavename
> sudo -u buildbot buildbot create-slave /var/lib/buildbot/slavename
> 128.238.56.50:8084 slavename password
> sudo -u buildbot buildbot start /var/lib/buildbot/slavename
>
> I shall also fill in the following files:
> /var/lib/buildbot/slavename/info/admin
> /var/lib/buildbot/slavename/info/host

Ok, I ran the first commands on 128.238.56.53 and 128.238.56.55, but it
didn't seem to start.  I added your ssh key so you can ssh to the
buildbot user on those machines. I didn't edit the admin or host files,
since I think you know that stuff better than me.

> Can i get the pass for the pddev users, or we do it another way
> around?

Your ssh key should already be in the pddev account on the PdLab
machines.  There is no password access to those machines, only with SSH
keys.

> I was also thinking: we could move the master to the box that is
> already upgraded... the job of the master is not cpu-intensive at all,
> at it may be not net-intensive as well (if the uploads don't go to the
> master but somewhere else. Disk space is used for the logs only. What
> do you think?

The master is the one with a biggish disk, so it makes sense to use that
one.  Is the version on the master too old to function?  Because I can
upgrade buildbot on that one soon, after the Pd-extended release.