[PD-dev] Raising ~250 USD for the Pd build farm? (was Re: buildbot or some other proper build automation)

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Mon Aug 30 01:18:28 CEST 2010

On Thu, 2010-08-26 at 21:10 +0200, András Murányi wrote:
>         >         >         > so... (tada.wav) Vanilla builds alrite
>         >         >         > on one slave. Nest step would be
>         >         >         > uploading the file, this can be done
>         >         >         > internally, just tell me please which
>         >         >         > file or directory is the actual build?
>         >         >         > And... how do we make a package with the
>         >         >         > Vanilla source? Sorry I never built it
>         >         >         > myself.
>         >         >         > Some more questions that came up
>         >         >         > meanwhile: Shall we update or copy the
>         >         >         > source each time? (see
>         >         >         > http://buildbot.net/buildbot/docs/latest/Source-Checkout.html) Do we need --enable-jack to configure Vanilla (after autogen)?
>         >         >         >
>         >         >         > Andras
>         >         >         >
>         >         >         >
>         >         >
>         >         >
>         >         >         The way that this would be super useful is
>         >         >         if buildbot builds after every commit to
>         >         >         SVN or git.  It looks like SVN polling
>         >         >         support is built-in
>         >         >
>         >         >
>         >         >         http://buildbot.net/buildbot/docs/0.7.12/#SVNPoller
>         >         >
>         >         >
>         >         >         For git, it supports checkout, but there
>         >         >         are some external scripts for polling:
>         >         >
>         >         >
>         >         >         http://buildbot.net/buildbot/docs/0.7.12/#Git
>         >         >         http://stackoverflow.com/questions/645430/have-buildbot-poll-a-git-repository-for-new-commits
>         >         >         http://buildbot.net/trac/ticket/130
>         >         >
>         >         >
>         >         >         .hc
>         >         >
>         >         >
>         >         > yes, git is more cumbersome when it comes to
>         >         > polling, so i will work this out with daily builds
>         >         > and see the polling stuff after. the older
>         >         > buildbot version also has some limitations in this
>         >         > direction.
>         >
>         >
>         >         I think we can start with SVN since that should be
>         >         easier.  If that works nicely, then we can struggle
>         >         to get git polling working.
>         >
>         > Alrite. My box may fall out then, because i cannot handle so
>         > many build cycles per day, or i'll try to find a way to
>         > limit it to one build cycle on 'civilian' boxes like mine.
>         >

>         Ah yes, that makes sense.  I was thinking the full time
>         machines.

> [...]

It would be nice to have a 64-bit Debian machine with a bunch of
chroots, both 32-bit and 64-bit, Debian and Ubuntu.  I suppose it might
also be possible to have Fedora, Gentoo, etc. chroots if someone wanted
to take that on.

A big part of that question is also: who is going to build and maintain
this machine?  I'm overloaded as it is.