[PD-dev] packaging loaders for Debian

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Mon Sep 6 17:41:28 CEST 2010

On Sep 6, 2010, at 3:11 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> On 2010-09-05 05:47, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>
>> I think it would be very useful to package up some of the handy
>> loaders
>> for Debian.  I for one am planning on making a package for the libdir
>> loader.  The big question is how to package them.  Should they be
>> packaged up like a normal library?  It would be nice if there was
>> some
>> kind of mechanism for having Pd automatically load the installed
>> loaders
>> if they are in a given folder.  Something like /etc/apache/sites-
>> enabled.
>

> i think the puredata package in debian should follow the pd-vanilla
> package as closely as possible [*].
> adding functionality for an autoloaded directory is definitely
> something
> that is beyond that (imho).
>
> so i'd say: get the autoload-directory stuff into upstream.
>
> in the meantime, loaders should be loaded like any other libraries
> (which they are).
>
> if autoload-directory makes it into upstream, we can start talking
> about
> putting loaders into that.
> personally i think it's a bad idea (and i would probably not want to
> use
> that package myself then)
>
> please remember that no package installs anything directly into
> /etc/apache/sites-enabled, it's the user who puts their configuration
> into it.

Why do you think having the ability to  autoload loaders is a bad
idea?  I can't see a disadvantage, but I am not saying there couldn't
be one.  I would like to see it be possible to write Pd objects in a
bunch of different langauges, then transparently use them as if they
were any Pd object.  Here's how I see it:

- there is a library of nice GUI objects using tclpd
- that gets packaged up Pd-extended, Debian, pure:dyne, etc.
- someone else goes looking for GUI objects and finds the
niceGUIobjects lib
- they [import niceGUIobjects] and try making objects
- they get lots of errors in the Pd window and no GUI objects

Seems to me that for users, tclpd should already be loaded.

Using ReBirth is like trying to play an 808 with a long stick.    -
David Zicarelli