[PD-dev] buildbot or some other proper build automation

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Tue Sep 7 23:34:00 CEST 2010

On Sep 7, 2010, at 4:54 PM, András Murányi wrote:

> 2010/8/29 Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at>
> On Sun, 2010-08-29 at 22:08 +0200, András Murányi wrote:
> >
> >         Ok, the problem is the backport of buildbot relies on a
> newer
> >         version of
> >         dpkg, which could cause Pd-extended builds to be
> incompatible
> >         with a
> >         plain Debian/lenny machine.  Once Pd-extended is released, I
> >         can upgrade
> >         without worrying about it.
> >
> > I understand.
> >

> >         I'd like to keep the 128.238.56.50 machine as the master
> since
> >         the rest
> >         are more or less "disposable".  So we can wait for Pd-
> extended
> >         to be
> >         released to upgrade (less than 2 weeks hopefully), we can
> work
> >         with the
> >         version that is installed now, or if you want you could
> >         install a newer
> >         version manually, then we can switch to the new Debian
> package
> >         once
> >         Pd-extended is released.
> >
> > Sounds good. So you mean i shall install a new version somewhere
> > under /var/lib/buildbot? Will it run ok as a daemon? Or shall i
> build
> > a new version which you then install over the existing one?
>
> Ok, I just built the package myself from source and removed the
> dependency on dpkg 1.15 and set it to 1.14 for lenny instead.  That
> means 0.7.12 is now installed on debian-stable-i386.
>

> very nice! Now we have a console view too (http://128.238.56.50:8010/console
> ), but i don't see if tells anything about what's happening on the
> different buildslaves. Maybe later we could artificially try to
> break things on one platform and not on the others, and see how the
> web views help finding the broken one. Reorganizing the builders
> would certainly make things less clear, so i consider it a last
> resort.
>
> Also, about the slave names, would it be possible to use the same
> names
> that are on the PdLab page? I.e. not CamelCase, but with-dashes
> instead :)
>

> Sure, i will. Soon :)
> Now i'm at CVS polling... it goes with a script snippet, which i'm
> not sure about if it does what we want... could you take a look at http://128.238.56.50:8010/waterfall
>  sometimes and see if the changes trigger the right builder? The
> snippet is like this:
>
> def my_file_splitter(path): # file splitter for BRANCHNAME/PROJECT/
> FILEPATH repos
>   pieces = path.split('/')
>   if pieces[0] == 'trunk':
>      branch = None
>      pieces.pop(0) # remove 'trunk'
>   elif pieces[0] == 'branches':
>      pieces.pop(0) # remove 'branches'
>      # grab branch name
> [...]

Actually, looking at what you have running already for Pd-extended, we
want to have the whole Pd-extended sources polled:

      from buildbot.changes.svnpoller import SVNPoller
      c['change_source'] = SVNPoller("http://pure-data.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/pure-data/branches/pd-extended/0.42
")

This is really cool!  Thanks for getting it going!

The arc of history bends towards justice.     - Dr. Martin Luther
King, Jr.