[PD-dev] packaging loaders for Debian

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Wed Sep 8 16:21:59 CEST 2010

On Sep 8, 2010, at 3:32 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> On 2010-09-06 17:41, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>

>> Why do you think having the ability to  autoload loaders is a bad
>> idea?
>> I can't see a disadvantage, but I am not saying there couldn't be
>> one.
>> I would like to see it be possible to write Pd objects in a bunch of
>> different langauges, then transparently use them as if they were
>> any Pd
>> object.  Here's how I see it:
>>
>> - there is a library of nice GUI objects using tclpd
>> - that gets packaged up Pd-extended, Debian, pure:dyne, etc.
>> - someone else goes looking for GUI objects and finds the
>> niceGUIobjects
>> lib
>> - they [import niceGUIobjects] and try making objects
>> - they get lots of errors in the Pd window and no GUI objects
>>
>> Seems to me that for users, tclpd should already be loaded.
>>

> actually i think that it is [import]'s job to make sure that all the
> dependencies are fullfilled in order to actually use that library.
>
> so i believe that niceGUIobjects-meta.pd should have a "require tclpd"
> equivalent (which of course has the scope of the patch containing the
> [import] object)
>
> having inter library dependencies, is not only a problem with loaders
> (though loaders illustrate it nicely).
> e.g. if i do [import GridFlow] without having Gem loaded, this will
> eventually fail, because GF uses Gem's symbols but the dlinker has no
> way of finding out that it is Gem.pd_linux that provides these
> symbols.
>

> fmgasdr
> IOhannes

I agree that it should work something like this, but I think its going
to take us a while to get there.  You can ask Claudius about the
complexity of this stuff, since he's been working on the local
namespace stuff.

First off, I don't think the dependency should be in the library, but
in the object.  With objects that need a loader, you have a catch-22:
the object needs a loader in order to be loaded, and the object needs
to be loaded so that [import loader] runs.  So loaders aren't really
the same as libraries.

The arc of history bends towards justice.     - Dr. Martin Luther
King, Jr.